Minors on Campus - Policy 111.1
The purpose of this policy is to take affirmative steps to safeguard and protect minor children who visit Appalachian State University (“Appalachian”), participate in University-sponsored programs on or off Appalachian property, or participate in third party programs and activities that utilize Appalachian property.
The policy applies to all faculty, staff, students, vendors, and visitors of Appalachian who work with minors in University-sponsored programs or who participate in third-party programs and activities that utilize Appalachian property, including property that is owned, leased, used, or otherwise controlled by Appalachian.
This policy covers all minors as defined under this policy; however, it does not cover minors who:
- have matriculated (i.e., a University student who has started their first day of classes or has declared their intention to enroll in classes as a student at Appalachian);
- are on campus for a “dually enrolled” University program while also enrolled in a primary or secondary school;
- attend events open to the general public, or private events or social functions, who are accompanied by their parent or guardian; or
- are participants in the Appalachian Child Development Center, Lucy Brock Child Development Laboratory Program, or an Appalachian Laboratory School subject to N.C. Gen. Stat. § 116-239.5 et. seq.
- are participants in University-sponsored programs that are subject to oversight by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) or are participants in University-sponsored programs of the Blue Cross NC Institute for Health and Human Services (IHHS). This includes clinical, field affiliates, and research affiliates of the IIHHS. However, all faculty and staff involved in IRB or IHHS activities and programs who routinely interact with, treat, supervise, chaperone, instruct, or otherwise oversee minors must comply with Sections 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and 4.5 of this policy, and Section 4.9 and 4.10 still apply where applicable.
Notwithstanding, unless otherwise expressed in this policy, any minor on University property who is not participating in a University-sponsored program, or third-party program or activity on University property, is expected to be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. The University reserves the right to determine, in its sole discretion, whether selected facilities, locations, or events on campus are appropriate for unescorted or unsupervised Minors.